Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Geek Within

I don't mind admitting I'm a geek. It's okay. I have learned long ago that I don't really care if other people think I'm "cool."

What things make me a geek?

1. Harry Potter. No midnight movie showings due to baby, but I do read the books..over and over and over. I do own the movies. I don't dress up, but I fell long ago into the magical world of Harry Potter and I love that I've forced my husband to read the books too. Two years ago, we went to the beach and arrived in Holden shorty before we could get into our house. What did we do? Sure we got dinner, but....it just happened that the final Harry Potter book came out that day. I couldn't get it before the beach because it wasn't out and I surely wasn't going to order it and wait! Then I wouldn't have it until after the beach, because we left Friday! We sought out the town of Shallotte, NC where we found a Super Wal-mart. I hate Walmart. With my every being. That day, I loved Walmart. I read book 7 in less than a day, passed it to my husband who read it, and then my friends' son read it. It was a great week.

2. Twilight. My cousin got me into the series. She will be 20 in a few days. I'm older than that. I'm not a teenager. I'm not in <3 class="blsp-spelling-corrected" id="SPELLING_ERROR_4">because
of the actor. Maybe because I'm afraid that it will not do the book justice. I don't know. I do know, the series rocks.

3. My absolute favorite author is Sophie Kinsella. I know that most of the women my age are into deep thought provoking literature about being a strong woman, motherhood, religion. Sophie Kinsella is the author of the Shopaholic series. I've been reading her since her Shopaholic book first came out years ago. I refuse to see the movie. From what I've seen of the trailer they've BUTCHERED the book. I love Rebecca Bloomwood. I appreciate who she is despite her financial flaws. I love her crazy relationship with Luke Brandon. What is it with characters named Luke?? I have every single one of her books, including those that are one offs, non-shopaholic related. Just finished re-reading The Undomestic Goddess for the hundredth time the other day. I even liked Remember Me despite the fact that it was more serious than her other books. I'm looking forward to Twenties Girl. I would love to meet this author.

4. In relation to the last reason, I want to write a book. I have always wanted to write a book. I have ideas all over the place. My husband keeps telling me to just do it. I blame lack of time. I wouldn't even care if anyone liked my book. I just want to be published. That's the Jess in me I guess.

5. I love school and learning. If it was realistic at all, I'd always be taking classes. I love going to class. I love participating in discussions. I love writing papers. Let's face it, when you go to college at 18, social life is way more important that class. I did well in school, don't get me wrong. I appreciated grad school way more than undergrad.

6. I love office supplies. When I'm having a really bad day, I can just walk up and down the aisles at Staples and feel at peace even if I don't buy anything. I like imagining owning a business so that I can have custom post-its and note pads. I'd have an awesomely chic bulletin board with all my memos on it. I'd have organized areas for all my important papers.

There are other reasons, but it's always good not to put too much out there. Sometimes those closest to me are the only ones who can really know all there is to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment