Wednesday, May 20, 2009

what to do, what to do

If you read my last post, you know that we have stopped the soy formula. Lord, almighty, give us strength. My poor child has been through way too many eating changes in his soon to be short 7 weeks (tomorrow!) First we started with breastfeeding. After being demeaned by the 70 year old lactation consultant, my real doctor and I (easily learned) that I simply wasn't producing milk. It was a sad, sad day. We moved to formula. Had some questions about some things and one of our pediatricians changed him to soy. The soy has been horrid, so we went back to regular formula. If you've never changed your infant's food, I can tell you, it's hard! He's had a bellyache most of today, and didn't poop until 6pm. What does that mean? Crying. Endless crying. I want to make it all better, but I just don't know how to do that. What does that mean? I cry. I haven't been sharing much, but I'm working through some post-partum depression. It's not as horrible as some women have. So far, I'm doing well without medicine, but I know my doctor is a little concerned. I definitely am a mom who wears her heart on her sleeve. All I want to do is comfort my baby boy, but I just don't know what to do.

We called our peds tonight and spoke to the same UPMC nurse, Stephanie, who is obviously reading off a cue card. I know she's just CHA, but still I need more than, "it sounds like belly pain." No shit. I've already said that! It seems that unless my baby has a temperature, no one wants to help us. Needless to say, if it's still going on tomorrow, I'm demanding to talk to the main doctor in the practice, and if need be going into the office and waiting until someone sees us. I refuse to have my baby be in pain if there's something we can do. This isn't just about a formula switch. We've been dealing with him having belly pain at least one day a week since the soy switch. When we first switched, he had belly pain for 3 solid days and he had a low grade fever. I was on the phone with the office daily. Their answer? It takes some time for a formula switch. All I can say is, from my experience, don't use soy unless you REALLY need to. My cousin's baby, same thing. They wanted her to switch her daughter to soy and the soy was 10 times worse.

Okay enough about the formula. I know I've gone on about it for 2 posts now, but I can't help it. Dexter is my darling son and I love him too much to sit around and wait and see. No book you read or friend can tell you just how hard it is to watch your child be in pain. I would gladly be in the worst pain of my life to take Dex's pain away. Hopefully, tomorrow, we'll see some improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment