Sunday, May 31, 2009

i love squeegee beckenheim

Random title, I know. I love Gilmore Girls. I never really watched it when it was in it's prime on tv. I can remember, before Dexter, coming home from work. I'd finish grading papers or whatever I had to do, but then I'd still have awhile before Rob came home from work. Nice days, I'd go for a walk. One day, the weather was awful so I was flipping around and a Gilmore Girls rerun happened to be on. Until that day, I had never realized what a truly brilliant show it was. So then I had to buy all the past seasons so I could catch up. At any rate, I have all 5 seasons now, I cried when the last show aired, and I watch them anytime I have nothing better to do.

Title explained. It has nothing to do with what I'm going to post, but that was the brilliance of the show.

Rob and I have been looking to buy a house for awhile. We've seen a ton of houses. Some good, some not so good. I've noticed a trend. Why is it that a homeowner lists changes they have made as "paint" and then expect their house to appreciate $50,000 in 3 years? That's some expensive paint! We found this house that we love. Absolutely love. The house has been on the market for a number of months. The asking price has dropped 3 times. Why? Well, the housing development it's in is very nice. Unfortunately, these people have only owned the house for a couple of years and made changes that do not equal the money they have "put in." Not only that, but when they bought the house, they (admittedly) paid more money than the house was worth. Now they are trying to sell it for way more money than it's worth. If a buyer bought the house for it's current price (dropped 3 times) there is little possibility of ever selling it for the same price anytime in this decade even if the recession ceases. Literally, the value of the entire neighborhood would have to increase considerably. I think our realtor said it well, it's better to be a small fish in a big pond than a big fish in a small pond. We've seen where we currently live. There's an area with all these gorgeous, massively expensive houses and one little podunk house. The podunk house has a much higher value than it should because of the value of the neighborhood. Well, that's what's happening in reverse. Our realtor thinks we need to be aggressive with our offer to see what their motivation for selling is. We shall see. We're going to give it a try and see what happens. We love the house, we feel bad if the couple is having some financial woes, but not enough to overpay for a house. There are tons of homes out there and we can always find another house we love.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment