Monday, May 18, 2009

Rockies and the tale of two formulas

Yesterday we took Dexter to his first baseball game. We really weren't sure how this was going to work out. The child is, after all, only six weeks old. I know we could have waited, but really we couldn't. My sister in law's brother pitches for the Colorado Rockies and they were playing Pittsburgh in a 3 game series this weekend. Since Sunday had a day game, we really wanted to get there. It was the only day that Dex would be able to go at all.

We left later than most would have, but Dexter had to eat lunch first. We got on the road and I actually ended up sitting in the back seat with him on the way down. He hates going into his car seat and hadn't had much of a morning nap, so he was a little Mommy-clingy. He was in a great mood by the time we got down there. Even though we are sure Pittsburgh sports fans all the way, we were also supporting the Rockies this weekend. So Rob and I had on t-shirts and we bought Dex the cutest purple onsie and put him in a pair of jeans. Okay, have I mentioned that I think my kid is the cutest thing ever? Well he was. We told ourselves, we just want to try and make it 3 innings. That will be great. Dexter? He made it 6 innings! He probably could've gone longer, but we figured we wanted to beat the rush of people anyway. We stopped in at Rob's parents after the game where Dexter and Rob promptly fell asleep. Oh and get this, when we were leaving, the Rockies were winning 4-1. The Pirates scored 10 runs in the 7th. ?!?!?!?!

Now for something totally different. Dexter started out on Similac. At about 3 weeks, he started puking up his 8:30am feeding. At a doctor's appointment, I mentioned my concerns about him puking. He certainly wasn't upset. I was. I'm still hormonal from pregnancy. I cried. Every time. The doctor recommended we change him over to soy formula. I wasn't crazy about this. I didn't see it as a milk problem. One puking a day doesn't a milk problem make. Alas, we did it because we didn't want to argue with our doctor. So we're at what, 3 weeks of soy? Okay, I'm sure there are plenty of soy supporters. I HATE SOY. My child has gone from puking once a day to maybe puking every few days, but instead having gas pain. He has to strain to poop. He gets terrible gas and every 7-10 days has a day full of belly pain where he SCREAMS all day long. I do whatever I can to make him comfortable. Well today, I HAD IT. He started the day with a somewhat solid poop (sorry if it's tmi, but come on) and I knew it was going to be a bad day. He was fine all morning...then 11:30-3:30...oh my. The poor little guy was just a mess. He was crying and crying. I was doing it all even giving him a midday bath (which he looooved). Finally, after his 2:30 bottle, he cried and cried and eventually wore himself out. He fell asleep in my arms and I didn't even bother putting him in his bed even though he's always there for his afternoon nap. I'm done with soy. I'm taking him off of it. He never had this much gas without it. My cousin's daughter...same exact thing happened with her. We have a doctor's appointment next week. We'll see what they say, but I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment